Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Honey for a Child's Heart: The Next Generation


If you're a mom you've probably received multiple copies of a book called Honey for a Child's Heart or its sequel Honey for a Teen's Heart (if you haven't, I suggest you check it out!). It's a book with a definitive list of tried-and-true books for parents who want to know where solid books for their children can be found.  

If you've been reading my blog, you know that I check out quite a large number of kids' books. As in, nothing makes me happier than to go through aisles of kid books and flip through them for hidden gems for my girls. For the new year I decided I was going to look to several sources to get book recommendations for them -- now 5 1/2, 3 1/2, and 4 months. One of those sources was Honey for a Child's Heart. However, when I opened my copy I saw it was published in 2002. Most of the hundreds of books I have already read weren't even on one of its lists because they were newer than 2002. I checked Amazon and it said there was a new edition for 2010, but, alas, our public library (not surprisingly...) does not carry any edition.

So what was my not-so-methodical way of approaching the Honey list I had? I just picked an author and checked out every book Honey listed for them (assuming the library had it). Maybe I just hit the wrong author right off the bat (William Steig), but I started finding that I disagreed with a few of his books that made it on the list. Not on major levels, but enough where I started marking things to note that I wouldn't check them out again and if someone asked me I would probably direct them to another book or author.            


So, here's the question I pose to you parents... Let's say someone wrote their own version of Honey -- what would YOU like to see in a book list?

  • What categories?
  • Book Reviews -- long or short or just-give-me-the-name-of-the-author-and-books?
  • Would you like thoughts/commentary on what constitutes a "good" child's book?
  • Certain disclaimers?
  • Any other ideas?

    Please leave feedback so we can all learn from each other's preferences or experience!